2 Days Budongo Chimpanzee Trekking Safari – Primate Tour
The 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee Trekking Safari is a unique short tour leading visitors to the verdant Budongo Forest at the edge of Murchison falls National Park in North-western Uganda. This 793-square kilometer is one of the rarest forest Reserves Uganda has comprising of at least 53% rainforest and the remaining percentage is mainly grassland.
Budongo Forest Reserve boasts of a rich diversity comprising of over 20 species of mammals including 9 primate species such as the olive baboons, Chimpanzees (totaling to between 500 and 700 individuals) and vervet monkeys among others in addition to more than 350 species of birds as well as other outstanding features you will discover during your 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari.
What to expect during the 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee Trekking Safari
- Trekking chimpanzee from Kaniyo-Pabidi or Busingiro Eco-tourism sites.
- Guided nature walks.
- Accommodation within one of the Eco-friendly Lodges.
- Bottled water.
Itinerary highlights of the 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari
Day 1: Drive to Budongo Forest and guided nature walks.
Day 2: Chimpanzee tracking and return to Kampala.
Detailed itinerary of the 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari
Day 1: Drive to Budongo Forest and guided nature walks
You shall be met by our Company driver at your convenient pick-up point (obviously after breakfast) and be briefed on the short tour you are about to undertake. Start your 4-5 hours’ journey to Budongo Forest and have your first stopover at the legendary Luwero Triangles that is said to be instrumental in ushering the current Government (NRM) into power. Proceed with the humorous and informative journey until Masindi Town where you will have a hot meal.
Proceed with your journey until Kichumbanyobo Gate of Murchison falls National Park, which will usher you into the lush Budongo Forest Reserve. On arrival, check-in at the Lodge and later head for a guided nature walk.
Dinner and overnight at Budongo Eco Lodge
Meal Plan: Lunch and Dinner.
Day 2: Chimpanzee tracking and return to Kampala
After a calm and quiet night with only sound of nature, wake up to a delicious breakfast and move to Kaniyo-Pabidi Ecotourism site for briefing and later tracking for the Chimpanzees. walk through the jungles while listening to the sound of nature, identifying the rich biodiversity of the forest that includes primates-olive baboons, vervet monkeys as well as birds, butterflies and reptile species. After 30 minutes to 2 hours, you will hear the calls of Chimpanzees and spend one hour studying them and taking photos.
Leave the Forest and head to the Lodge for Lunch and later check-out for a transfer to Kampala, where you will arrive in the evening.
End of your 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee tracking safari
Your 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari includes;
- Chimpanzee permit.
- Park entrance fees.
- Guided nature walk.
- Transport by a customized 4WD Vehicle.
- Full-time English speaking guide.
- Bottled water.
- Relevant Government taxes.
- Driver allowances.
- One night accommodation in Budongo Forest.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off.
Your 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari excludes;
- Visa fees.
- Personal expenses like cigarettes, souvenirs and tips among others.
- Travel insurance.
- Accommodation in Kampala.
Chimpanzee trekking guidelines
- Intending Chimpanzee trekkers have to be 12 years and above.
- Avoid using flash cameras.
- Mimicking the Chimpanzee vocalizations is totally prohibited because you may not know what your mimics mean.
- Maintain a minimum distance of 8 meters from the Chimpanzees.
- Avoid making noise during tracking.
- Avoid eating, smoking or drinking while in the presence of the Chimpanzees.
- Persons with flue, common cold, cough or any other communicable diseases must not enter the forest.
- Avoid littering the forest.
Packing list for your 2 days Budongo Chimpanzee trekking safari
- Chimpanzee permit.
- Travel documents-passport, yellow fever vaccination certificate, visa and even ticket.
- Long sleeved shirts (2-3).
- Safari pants.
- Good non-flash camera.
- Waterproof backpack.
- Gardening gloves.
- Water bottle.
- Enough cash.
- Toiletries-toothbrush, toothpaste, hand sanitizers and toilet tissue.
- Insect repellant.
- First aid kit.
- Rain jacket.
- Hiking boots.